Geezer World, the Social Newsletter for, well… Geezers!
They say “Fifty-five is the new forty-five.” Sort of… Certainly the average fifty-five year old guy today is very different from the men of our fathers’ and grandfathers’ generations. Likewise, men of seventy-five have the health and vitality of former sixty year olds.
In those past generations most men were “worn out” by sixty-five, ready for a rocker or the grave. Yesterday’s Geezers were those old guys with little life left in them.
Today we Geezers are part of a huge baby-boomer generation of well educated post-WW2, post-Korea guys passing through our sixties, guys with many healthy and active years ahead of us.
Because we realize we are different.
We are at the end of middle age but not “old” in the sense of useless and helpless.
We have experienced first-hand a very rich period of history, a period of vast changes in cultures and technologies; experiences that give us a valuable perspective on life unavailable to those behind us.
Instead of struggling to pretend we are forty-five we are discovering it is actually very enjoyable to “be ourselves” and to reap the benefits we have earned.
The term “Geezer” reflects the modern reality of our demographic; slowing down slightly, still very healthy and active, willing and able to experience the world around us.
- We may not free-climb El Capitan but we will climb a pyramid.
- We may not hike the length of the Appalachian Trail but we will explore Gettysburg or Venice.
- We may no longer play hardball but we are good for a good game of slow-pitch.
- We may not build our own home but we are up for repainting it.
- We may no longer race flat track bikes but we will spend hundreds of hours restoring a classic Chevy from our youth.
- We will still play eighteen holes but now we use a cart… with a cooler.
- We may no longer backpack through Europe sleeping in hostels but we will enrich our lives with guided tours of far-away places.
As Geezers we have learned lessons and we know how to get the best out of life.
Here at Geezer World we work hard to find and publish those items and ideas appropriate for our active demographic; boating, fishing, hunting, sports, health and travel.
If you look through our listings you will be surprised at the variety.
(However, if you’re looking for rocking chairs, this isn’t the place.)
The wonderful thing about our Geezer generation is that it is diverse and abuzz with opportunities and things to do… and our health allows us to do them. We at Geezer World do our best to supply the pieces.
We welcome you and would especially appreciate your “Liking Us” on Facebook and Twitter.
And… to receive our newsletter on a regular basis just fill out the free subscription form available on almost every page… we promise not to share your information without your permission.
As our moto says, “…Gettin’ Older Ain’t for Sissies!”
Sure, sometimes our lives hit rough spots, but we have learned to “shake ‘em off and keep movin’.”
We are a proud, experience-toughened bunch still excited about living life!
If that’s you too, Welcome Aboard!